Pages

Sunday 2 December 2012

Sunday Spotlight - Restoration Cake


As a new feature on my blog I have decided to dedicate Sundays to some truly wonderful, creative and talented people in what I am calling my Sunday Spotlight.

December's Sunday Spotlight is the amazing Restoration Cake!



A couple of months back I was casually reading the latest issue of Vintage Life Magazine when I turned the page to see one of my own creations atop the head of the amazing Charlotte from Restoration Cake, so I sent her a wee message to say thank you and to ask if she's mind doing a little interview for me as part of my Sunday Spotlight.



Lisa: In 100 words or less, tell me a little about yourself.
Charlotte: I am a Cake Designer, living and working in London. I'm a history geek who never grew out of playing 'dress up'. My family motto is 'never knowingly underdressed'. I live in hats, high heels, and red lipstick. I adore Marilyn Monroe and have 'Nobody's Perfect' tattooed on my wrist because it is the last line of Some Like It Hot, my favourite movie. I have an eclectic taste in music and play bass guitar - I even sang and played at my own Wedding!

Lisa: How did you get started in the world of cakes?
Charlotte: As a child I baked with my Nana. I have baked cakes all my life, it is just something that I have always loved to do. I made my first Wedding Cake in 2007 for friends and they then encouraged me to consider cakes as a career. I took evening classes at my local community college and learnt loads of techniques and set up Restoration Cake in 2009.

Lisa: What is you favourite cupcake flavour and why?
Charlotte: It has to be Red Velvet. I make a fabulous Red Velvet cupcake with a cream cheese frosting, which is pretty tasty! It is also hugely popular. I lust admit, I am much more fond of Cake than Cupcakes.

Lisa: Any advice for people who’ve never given baking a try?
Charlotte: Take your time and enjoy it! Baking is a science so you have to really read the recipe and follow it to the letter for the cake to turn out nicely. If you are rushing, this is when you will make a mistake. I cannot recommend the recipes of Nigella Lawson enough for beginners... she really talks you through each stage of the recipe so that you know you are on the right track.

Lisa: You’ve been featured with your amazing cakes in Vintage Life Magazine wearing both the Cherries Jubilee and Monroe Fascinators by Off With Her Head Millinery, so we know you love your hats! How many Hats do you own and do you have a favourite??
Charlotte: I have no idea how many hats I own! Isn't that awful. I am a sucker for a beret. I own them in every colour... black, white, grey, red, royal blue, baby blue, navy, pink, purple and that's just the berets. I love hats in the 1940s style at the moment and I have a ladies trilby in claret with three feathers in the front... I think this one is my favourite this week! I have several 1940s style hats and loads of fascinators too. I love wearing my Monroe fascinator in the summer months when the sun is out.

Lisa: What are your plans/ambitions for the future?
Charlotte: I have lots of lovely Weddings booking in for 2013 so I am looking forward to another year of wonderful Brides and delicious cakes. There are lots of exciting projects in the pipeline and I am excited to be releasing my very first e-book of recipes and cake decorating tricks. This will be available via the website very soon. I will also be announcing more classes and teaching loads of lovely people how to create beautiful cakes.

Lisa: How can people contact you to order your amazing cakes?
Charlotte: All of my contact details can be found on my website www.restorationcake.co.uk

Charlotte from Restoration Cake wear 'Cherries Jubilee' Fascinator by Off With Her Head Millinery 



No comments:

Post a Comment